13 July – 17 July 2016
Organised through Château de la Baudonnière. Travel in France is with their own coaches and drivers. Marchants Coaches JMHS to Portsmouth. Brittany ferries Portsmouth – Caen/Caen – Portsmouth.
Normandy contact: 07531829796
Château de la Baudonnière: 01273 202999
Brittany ferries: 0871 244 1402
- Château de la Baudonnière, set in the region of La Manche, near Granville and 30 minutes from Le Mont St Michel.
- Set in 90 acres of grounds including an animal park and canoeing lake, volleyball, archery, climbing wall, outdoor sports areas and indoor games room.
- Dormitories: 12/14 per room. Shared bathrooms.
Weds 13 July
02.30 Arrive at school for a 02:45 departure
06.45 Arrive Portsmouth for 08.15 crossing (as foot passengers)
15.00 Ferry arrives Caen
17.00 Arrive at Château for dinner
Sunday 17 July
05:30 Leave Château
08:30 Ferry leaves Caen
13:15 Arrive Portsmouth
17.15 Arrive back at school
- Continental breakfast.
- Hot, three course, typical French lunch and dinner every day except out on excursions when packed lunches are provided.
- Although it will be possible to purchase food en route, I would suggest a substantial picnic for the long outward journey.
- Shops and restaurants on the ferry will accept Euros or Pounds sterling.
- There are drinks vending machines on site and all tap water in accommodation blocks is drinkable. A couple of refillable water bottles with sports lids would be very useful.
The emphasis of the trip is on learning about French language and culture through fun events and activities. The students are guided by native French speaking staff at the Château and on trips out.
On our first day, Thursday, we will visit the typical French market at Dinan in the morning, taking a picnic lunch with us. We will visit the beautiful walled ‘Old Town’ of St Malo on the coast in the afternoon.
On Friday there will be a range of activities at the chateau; orienteering, archery, mini farm and canoeing /raft building on the lake.
On Saturday more activities and an afternoon visit to the beautiful Mont Saint Michel. In the evenings there will be a talent show, a treasure hunt and a French evening with quiz. You may want to bring a costume or small props for the talent show or to dress up as a French person!
Please discuss this with Miss Trezeux or Mr Henderson ASAP and make sure that any dietary requirements are indicated on the yellow form, including any vegetarian diets.
Miss Trezeux (Party Leader), Mrs Knight, Mr Paton, Mr Henderson and Miss Limbrick.
What to take:
- Backpack (for phone, wallet, camera, packed lunch, water bottle etc)
- Toiletries (please also bring travel sickness tablets if required and sun cream)
- Pencils, pens, notepad. Games, books etc for the journey
- French/English dictionary
- Mobile phone charger and adapter plug
- Waterproof jacket or cagoule AND warm fleece or jacket
- Tshirts, sweatshirts/jumpers, 2 tracksuit bottoms, 2 jeans/trousers, 2 shorts
(You may wish to bring smarter clothes for trips and evenings)
- Swimming costume and 2 towels (one for showers and one for canoeing)
- Trainers or shoes, indoor shoes or slippers and OLD trainers for muddy activities
- Fun accessories/French fancy dress/props for French evening and talent show
Although we have comprehensive insurance, valuable items are your responsibility. A tidy room with a designated personal area for your things will help to avoid items being misplaced.
This is supplied by the company and has a full range of vocabulary, phrases, a diary to complete in French and a range of activities. This will be completed before each activity (and you will be expected to have it with you) during the stay and there will be prizes for the best diaries.
Code of conduct for students
- No smoking/alcohol/purchase of fireworks or penknives. No shoplifting!
- Listen carefully to instructions
- Join in. Have a go at speaking French and with all activities
- After lights out you must stay in your room unless you need to see a member of staff
- Rooms should be kept tidy to avoid losing things and to be considerate of others. There will be an inspection after breakfast each morning
- When given free time during our excursions you must stay within the designated area, behave sensibly, take your bearings and make a note if necessary. Never go off on your own and always have access to the emergency contact card
- Eat and dress sensibly
- Be respectful and inclusive towards each other