Remit of the Governing Body
The principal activity is the provision of public benefit education by maintaining, managing and developing an 11-18yr comprehensive school offering a broad and balanced curriculum.
The Trustees ensure the school operates as a state funded, mixed, independent school for students aged 11-18 of all abilities, drawing mainly from the area in which it is situated.
To develop a school offering a broad and balanced curriculum. This curriculum is designed to have strengths in the 8 main faculty areas in the school; English, Mathematics, the Sciences, Modern Foreign Languages, the Humanities, Performing Arts, Technology and Enterprise, and PE and Health. Trustees feel it is essential to have strength in each of these areas so that students of all abilities and aptitudes can succeed, thrive and enjoy learning at the Academy.
The school will be at the heart of its community, promoting community cohesion and sharing facilities with other schools and the wider community.
We achieve our key aims through:
a) Developing high quality teaching
b) Pastoral care to help each individual to succeed
c) A wide range of extra-curricular opportunities including many that promote student leadership; and
d) Linking with the parents of students and the whole curriculum to ensure a quality education for all.
- Andrew Evans
Chair of Governors
- Lucy Potter (Chair: 19 Oct 21 – 19 Oct 22); Governor 9 June 2017 – 9 June 2021 / 11 June 2021 – 10 June 2025
Vice Chair of Governors
- Rachel Ussher (Vice Chair: 19 Oct 21 – 19 Oct 22)
Parent appointed by Academy Governing Board due to no election candidates
- Deborah Clueit (23 April 2021 – 22 April 2025)
- John Otieno (23 April 2021 – 22 April 2025)
- Stuart Mitchell (17 January 2023 – 16 January 2027)
- Daniel Thomas (23 January 2023 – 22 January 2027)
- Steven Williams (17 January 2023 – 16 January 2027)
Appointed by the Academy Members:
- Joanne Hartness (19 May 2020 – 19 May 2024)
- Rachel Ussher (31 Jan 2021 – 30 Jan 2025)
- Rob Jenkins (22 October 2019 – 03 October 2022 Membership ceased)
- Tom Williams (1 December 2020 – 30 November 2024)
- Nina Stone (23 March 2021 – 23 March 2022 Resigned)
- Lucy Potter (11 June 2021 – 10 June 2025)
- Alison Jones (30 November 2021 – 20 October 2022 Resigned)
- Nina Shields (30 November 2021 – 22 March 2025)
Appointed by Academy Governing Board
- Tom Whellighan-Fell (23 March 2021 – 22 March 2025)
- Ruth Whitehouse (10 February 2022 – 09 February 2026)
- Kate Harper (23 February 2022 – 22 February 2026)
Governors who are employees
- Andy Collard (19 May 2020 – 19 May 2024)
Clerk to Governors
- Sally King
Governors’ minutes are available on request from the Clerk to Governors at JMHS.
Register of Business Interests.
JMHS maintains a Register of Business Interests and Related Parties Forms for all Governors. The Register of Business Interests Form is completed annually and referred to at each full Governors’ Meeting for review and updating by Governors if required. The forms are held by the Clerk to Governors. The Related Parties Forms are held by the Clerk to Governors.
Members of the Academy Trust
Emma Carr (23/6/2015)
Justyn Crane (9/12/2014)
Lucy Potter (3/12/2019)
Helen Thomas (8/10/2013)
Kevin Welford (29/1/2016)
Dulcie Karadia (30/11/21)
Principal and registered office of John Masefield High School and Sixth Form Centre Academy Trust is Mabel’s Furlong, Ledbury, Herefordshire HR8 2HF, telephone: 01532 631012. The trust is registered with England and Wales and the registration number of 07631985.
The Trustees (who act as Governors of John Masefield High School and Sixth form Centre) can be contacted in the first instance by contacting the Clerk to Governors, Miss Sally King, by email email@example.com or telephone at 01531 631012.
Current Vacancies (October 2022)
The Full Governing Board currently have vacancies for two Parent Governors. Please click on the link below to view the information letter and nomination form.