Inspiring & Challenging High Achievers
As well as the support we offer all students on UCAS, with workshops on the application process and intensive support with personal statements, students whose GCSE results indicate they have potential and have expressed a desire to apply for Oxbridge, Russell group universities, medical, veterinary or law schools can expect us to provide:
- Access to local and national masterclasses and Summer schools
- Opportunities to talk to students [ Year 13 and Alumni] who have been successful in their applications
- Advice on securing work experience and volunteering to support competitive applications
- Formal interview practice with the Headteacher and external interviewers
- Tutoring for the STEP tests for Mathematics
- The opportunity to complete an Extended Project Qualification, recognised by Oxford, Cambridge and the most competitive universities, which offers students the opportunity to evidence their critical thinking, research skills and extended knowledge in their area of interest.
Early Applicants’ Programme
This programme is designed for those considering applying to the universities of Oxford or Cambridge or for other competitive ‘early applicant‘ courses (including Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science). We provide a programme of dedicated advice and support which includes:
- advice on reading lists and journals;
- extended projects to develop independent research skills;
- preparation for universities’ own subject-specific or aptitude tests (an increasingly common requirement) including the ‘STEP’ programme for Mathematicians;
- access to universities’ widening-participation initiatives, available only to the maintained sector, including: student shadowing schemes, residential summer schools and study days;
- using our established working relationships with Oxbridge colleges’ school liaison officers and admission tutors;
- intensive interview preparation and presentation skills training.
Students who participate in the ‘Early Applicants’ programme who decide not to apply to Oxbridge nevertheless gain valuable experience and most win places at Russell Group universities.
Russell Group Applicants and HE+ Programme
John Masefield Sixth Form is proud to support students to gain places at Russell Group universities. The percentage of our students who secure places at these prestigious universities is consistently and significantly higher than the national average.
We are an established participant in the HE+ programme which is run by Cambridge University in partnership with a select group of maintained sector sixth forms.
The purpose of this initiative is to increase student aspiration and encourage applications to competitive universities; the programme provides extension lessons, master classes and specialist advice on competitive entry university applications. There will also be a limited number of places on a two day visit to Christ’s College, Cambridge to experience master classes delivered by current Professors.